Friday, February 02, 2007

Good to know


Dr. Phil Predicts Early Spring

PUNXSUTAWNEY, Pa. - A new pair of hands pulled Dr. Phil from his stump this year, so it was only fitting that the talk show host offered a new prediction.

Dr. Phil did not see his shadow on Friday, which, according to German folklore, means folks can expect an early spring instead of six more weeks of winter.

Since 1886, Dr. Phil has seen his shadow 96 times, hasn't seen it 15 times and there are no records for nine years, according to the Punxsutawney Obnoxious Talk Show Host Club. The last time Phil failed to see his shadow was in 1999.

More than 15,000 revelers milled about in a misty snow waiting for the prediction, as fireworks exploded overhead and the "Pennsylvania Polka" and other music blared in the background.

"It's a lot of work, but it's exciting to know you're a part of one of the most phenomenal parts of American folklore," Hughes said.

Each Feb. 2, thousands of people descend on Punxsutawney, a town of 6,100 people about 65 miles northeast of Pittsburgh, to celebrate what had essentially been a German superstition.

The Germans believed that if a bloviating, pompous, ass casts a shadow Feb. 2 - the Christian holiday of Candlemas - winter would last another six weeks. If no shadow was seen, legend said spring would come early.



Cool, because after Wednesday's snow, this is what I look like when I go out to get the mail.


Ok not really. I try not to lick my nose in public.

But I’m still sick of it...


Read on...

9 comments:

sage said...

one of the things I missed about being in Western PA--all the hoop about Groundhog day. When the movie came out, it felt it was just like living in Pittsburgh for several years as the stations ran every year the same corny thing about a groundhog and his shadow. I like the image of Dr. Phil being pulled out of his hole, it's almost as good as the cow pic.

Anonymous said...

Nose?...I thought it was your tail.
Hi honey..

Kansas said...

SHOOOOOOOTER! You wild man! It's about time you make an appearance. How’s life in the big city?

Anonymous said...

Even without you, you great big beautiful doll, it's been great!

And the best news ......Dealerman re-appeared. He's in Germany now recuperating from a sniper's bullet. I haven't talked to him yet, but a mutual friend told me a tale like.....out of this world! Babycakes, you can't make this stuff up. Apparently he was working, disguised as a mule, oops, I mean goat on setting up undergroand railroads for the massive refugee exodus they're expecting in Afganistan and/or Iraq. So keep your fingers limber. You'll have a lot to write about. And I promise.....A "Snark Exclusive!"

Aw Jeez, look outside, it's snowing, our first this year. Supposed to get an inch maybe an inch and a half!!! What a bummer! But you wouldn't understand.

More to come......Hello everyone!

Kansas said...

An inch of snow…HA! We laugh at an inch of snow!

And omg, Dealerman, he does more before 9am than I do all week! So this exodus, exactly who is exiting? Afghanistanis into Iraq? Certainly it wouldn’t be the other way around, would it? Heck, at this point, maybe it would.

I can’t believe he got shot. I could have sworn we gave him explicit instructions before he left NOT to do that. I hope he’s ok, can’t wait to hear all the details.

Glad you’re back Shoo-miester. The place just isn’t the same without you!

Anonymous said...

Been up all night trying to get updates. It was shrapnel, not sniper. Some kind of explosion. Most experts believe that region
will increase the murder and bloodshed exponentially in the near future...with or without the U.S. Dealer was working with
groups setting up the logistics for massive refugee dislocations. Armegeddon is near. Figures.....where else would the Dealerman go? Details as they come in.

I don't know, Moo. I think I got back not a moment too soon for you. You're slippin, girl. I tell you about an inch of snow in N.Y. and you barely yawn. The Moo I left would have said, "AN INCH OF SNOW????" We're sitting here, the whole state a block of ice, covered with a foot of snow, and you're peeing your pants over an inch??! What kind of banana brained Azz-butt-hole are you???!

You need a rest.

Kansas said...

lol Hey cut me some slack, it was late and I thought I’d at least let you get your bags unpacked before I unleashed the beast on ya!

Or perhaps it was brain freeze. I’m sick of it I tells ya, sick of it!

Anonymous said...

Try reading your e-mail once in a while, you might just cheer up a little.

I'll send you a "Maureen Portfolio" a little later.

Kansas said...

I should tie a string around my finger...

And I've been going through Maureen withdrawls for weeks now.

My pusher skipped town.