Friday, December 15, 2006

But since you asked, Part 2

Starting a new thread, the responses are getting too long for the comments area.

In answer to RTO Trainer's comments...

Apparently I was completely wrong in my perception that the military is all about rules and following orders. Apparently you all are running around doing whatever you want. My bad for thinking there was a chain of command.

And my only understanding of you personally is being told to drop dead. That alone gives me a pretty good idea of who you are. Do I understand you? Nope. But you’re no great mystery.

And Frank Rich’s point of view made me want to stand up and cheer. Finally someone had the balls to say, not only does The Emperor have no clothes, he’s batshit crazy. I’m sorry, my dear man, but your fearless leader is losing his marbles.

And since you have a clear understanding of your mission, perhaps you could enlighten the rest of us. What exactly is your mission and how will staying longer, doing the same things that aren’t working now, accomplish this mission.

How many homeless vets do you know? How many vets with untreated PTSD, who have lost everything, whose lives are in shambles, do you know? Yes, I realize that many vets went on to be senators, but many, many didn’t. Many were never given the chance to recover because their government (and the American people) forsook them.

And I’ll trot out the armor issue until it’s no longer an issue. And if it a non-issue, then why, when questioned about it, did Rumsfeld say, “You don’t always get to go to war with the army you’d like. Sometimes you have to go with the army you have.” Just gives you a warm fuzzy, doesn’t it?

As far as the financial end goes, you are speaking only for yourself. And I don’t believe I presented it as a universal problem. None of the problems are universal. But the government has a long history of turning it’s back on the very men and women fighting it’s wars. A long history. Hell the government is still fighting the Gulf War vets over whether or not Gulf War Syndrome is real. They don’t want to pay the bills of the vets who came home sick. Same with Agent Orange and the Vietnam Vets. Maybe YOU don’t know of any vets who have GWS, so therefore it’s not true. Just like the vets of Vietnam. If you don’t know any, then it can’t be true.

You said, “The mission can only fail if we go home”. Ok little George, explain to me how we’ll win by staying. The Taliban is stronger now than it was when this war started. Iraq civilians are dying by the thousands. We are breeding young terrorists that we’ll be fighting 10 – 20 years from now. It is quite evident to the rest of us that the Iraqi “troops” are never going to be able to step up and police themselves. If they haven’t been trainable in four years, then something is wrong.

What does “winning” look like? The president can’t tell us. Perhaps you can.

And just so you know, you can call me Tokyo Rose, Jane Fonda, or a Dixie Chick. You people did all the damage to me in 2003 that can be done. You know, back when 79% of the people were in favor of this war. Back when 79% of the people believed George W. Bush to be an honest, righteous man. Family members and loved ones called me a traitor and suggested I might want to find another country to reside in. Calling me Tokyo Rose now barely makes me blink.

And I am truly very sorry that the soldiers don’t understand that wanting this war to end IS being supportive. I just don’t get it. The message is not that they’ve died in vain. The fault does not lie with them. Their country called them and they went. It was not their fault that this call was based on lies and unfounded fear by dishonest and greedy men. They should be welcomed as heroes.

I guess what we’re fighting here is the mentality of soldiers. Again, I’m not one so I can only suppose. You’re given a mission. You’re trained to win at all costs. Anything short of winning makes all the death, destruction, sacrifice, and horror in vain. In your mind, that’s a loss, not a win. So you’ll stay, and stay, and stay. To win. Because if you don’t, it’s all been a waste. So you stay. And stay.

But what if, just what if, you were given a mission that can’t be won? What if the mission you were given wasn’t the true mission at all? What if you were given this mission for less than honorable purposes? What if your leaders lied? Do you stay? And if so, why? So that the ones who’ve died didn’t die in vain? Don’t you see how insane that is?

And come on, RTO, you seem to be an intelligent man. You know darn good and well that the poll didn’t say 53% of Americans said the soldiers who’ve died don’t matter. You lose all credibility when you say that. That poll was worded to do exactly what it did; incite soldiers and Republicans. It simply asked the question; should we send more soldiers to die so as to honor the ones who have already died. That’s exactly what it asked. It’s a stupid question. It’s a stupid concept and I’m surprised you fell for it. But since you did, perhaps you could explain why it has your panties in a wad. So 53% of the people DON’T think it would honor the dead to send more troops to die. Exactly how WOULD that honor them?

And yes I realize that over 70% of the American people were behind this war. Believe me, I know this all too well. I was a woman without a country for several years. But that was because THEY BELIEVED THE PRESIDENT. The believed Saddam was the boogieman. They believed he knocked over the Trade Centers. They believed he had WMDs. They believed we’d be welcomed as liberators. They believed the Iraqis would stick daisies in our rifles. They believed this mission would take only weeks/months (Rumsfeld’s exact words). They believed all the bullshit that was shoveled out by this wonderful, Christian administration. They believed. That, and they were still very angry for 911. Someone had to be punished. Didn’t matter if it was the person who was actually responsible. After all, it didn’t matter to the administration.

Trusting the president was that 70%’s only crime. And now, some four years later, they know the truth. And they’re pissed. And rightfully so. And they want the liars’ heads on a platter. And they want to undo the terrible travesty that these lies caused. But they can’t undo it. So they want the next best thing.

They want an end to this war. That’s not madness. Madness would be to stay the course. As if the truth didn’t matter. As if throwing more lives on the fire would somehow justify the lives already lost.

THAT, my dear man, is madness.

PS. Yes, I’ve heard of you. I live less than ten minutes from the National Guard in Broken Arrow.



UPDATE: For those of you playing along, there is a second conversation going on over here.

28 comments:

RTO Trainer said...

Extended reply at: http://signaleer.blogspot.com/2006/12/fisking-moogirl.html

Ginsberg said...

Is RTO trainer in the regular military or the National Guard? In his response he speaks as if he were a general. But here is the one sentence that everyone should dig out of that haystack of words.

"He did have WMDs, just not in the quantities or types we suspected."

Okay RTO trainer. How many and what types did we find? I think I know what you're going to say.

One more quote from his response just for fun:

"In all of this there is no room for the robot or the unmotivated. They slip in. They quickly gain reputations as “slow leaks” and “no-loads” and rarely last beyond their first enlistment, either because they recognize that they are in over their heads or because they have it pointed out to them."

Does that count for everyone who serves one term? I served one in the Navy. Is that what you think about this population of the military? Is that what I should think about my time serving my country?

PS A lot of guys dying in Iraq are on their first term. Is that because they're unmotivated slow leaks? Show a little respect for gods sake. What would they think if they heard a reservist speaking of them like this?

RTO Trainer said...

Wow. Talk about someone looking for a reason to be offended.

Tell you what Bubba, reread the statement and you decide what I meant for yourself. A lot rides on how committed you are to being angry at me.

Ginsberg said...

I reread the statement. I've decided you don't like guys who serve one term in the regular military.

Tell us more about those WMDs we found.

RTO Trainer said...

You've got a reading comprehension problem.

Kansas said...

I too would like to know about the WMDs You know you can only cry wolf so many times.

RTO Trainer said...

Well, I also said that it didn't matter, so I'm not going to be drawn into a red herring argument on it. Besides, your buddy there is apparently a (starving) licensed telepath who knows my thoughts better than I do and said he already knows what I'm going to say. Who am I to argue?

Anonymous said...

Cait, pass the popcorn please. ;)

Kansas said...

Actually RTO, your statement and it wasn’t necessarily all-inclusive. But if I were a one-timer I’d have probably asked the same thing. But I’m a no-timer so I don’t get to play in this one.

And seriously RTO, I expect to have to defend words at your place, you should expect no less here. But you’re a big boy. I know you can handle it. :>

Kansas said...

Alex, you and Cait stop dropping Raisinets all over the floor!

RTO Trainer said...

I find it interesting that out of 200 lines of text the only one deemed worth debating is the one I said didn't matter.

You got cut off at my place. I'd recommend we simply bat this back and forth, I'll post my response at Signaleer, you post yours here.

Kansas said...

Oh bummer, it ate about half my commemt, didn't it?

You'll just have to take my word for it that it was brilliant! :>

RTO Trainer said...

No doubt it was. if you'd like to try to rebuild it here, I'll wait my turn. It's morning here, so it's probably getting late where you are.

If you'd rather I can post a reply to what did come through.

Kansas said...

I actually have it on a Word doc. Saves me from having to spell lol. but it was kinda long. I can post a part 2 at your place if you want.

Kansas said...

Perhaps we should take smaller bites in the future?

Ginsberg said...

"He did have WMDs, just not in the quantities or types we suspected."

Discuss

Kansas said...

Ok, all 17 parts are there now. Pack a lunch...

Ginsberg said...

jackass

RTO Trainer said...

heh. Sweet friends you have.

GWOT = Global War on Terror

Fisking: Named for Robert Fisk who pioneered the internet style of rebuttal of interlacing responses into the text being replied to.

Detailed rebuttal to follow. No fisk, too long.

RTO Trainer said...

Too long for comments as well. It's here: http://signaleer.blogspot.com/2006/12/moogirl-papers-continue.html

Ginsberg said...

RTO says:

"Haliburton: Go look at their P/L statements. I haven’t checked myself in the last year or so, but between 2002 and 2005, they were losing a million dollars a year on their contracts with DoD. Not much profit motive there."

We're going to need a reference on that one too. I went to look it up but I got sucked in to the HalliburtonWatch website.

http://www.halliburtonwatch.org

Anonymous said...

If Halliburton is losing money like that each year, then they're:
a) not a very well-managed company (well-managed companies don't continue to take work where they lose money)
b) employing some creative accounting to hide their profits

Either way, then shareholders are on the short end if that's true.

And it looks like back in 2002, their stock was under $10/shr and today it's over $32+/shr.

Kansas said...

First off, I take no responsibility for other’s comments. I neither edit, nor moderate them. Everybody is entitled to his or her own opinions; this is just a place to voice them.

As far as Halliburton goes, I’ll wait for the results of the investigations into the war contracts. I don’t have the time to do an in-depth investigation of my own. But I thought it was a well know fact that Halliburton won contracts over most others with very little effort on their part and they’ve squandered millions and millions of dollars. This is one of the investigations the new House and Senate have promised.

RTO Trainer said...

I'll stipulate that the "no-bid" contract is common knowldege. I'll also acknowledge a pervasive suspicion of malfeasance in their accounting. However, I try to function on the premise of "presumption of innosence" I know for certain that some accusations were cleared, though while the accusations were widely reported, you had ot be a subscriber to Federal Computer Week or the WSJ to learn that those particular accusations were groundless. We'll have to see.

I don't recommend anyone hold their breath on Congressional investigations.

Since that's come up, I'm tapped out; you have any ideas on how to cure the phrase "Congressioanl oversight" from remaining a punchline?

Kansas said...

You see, that’s another place we differ. I guess I’m just too cynical, I always assume a politician is guilty until proven innocent. And that goes for both parties. I’m an equal opportunity mistruster. Bush is The Decider. I’m The Mistruster.

I’m not sure what you mean by punchline. Do you not think any congressional oversight will happen? Or do you think Congress will be conducting oversight for retribution purposes?

Kansas said...

And you know, now that I think about it, congressional oversight really is a bad name for it. It’s like “Oops, I didn’t MEAN to send vulgar emails to that underage page, it was a congressional oversight on my part!”

Congressional oversight sounds like something you’d be guilty of, not the act of investigating the guilty.

RTO Trainer said...

Congress doesn't investigate in order to solve problems and hasn't for 40 years. They investigate to fix blame and punish. Which is a usurpation of the Judicial branch's turf, IMO.

Congress having subopena power is laughable. I've wanted to be called (and I don't care for what) to testify before Congress, just so I could mock, be disrespectfuland try to get a totally meaningless "contempt of Congress" charge just to get the opportunity to bellow, "What? Me, hold you in contempt? NAAAAAAHHHHHH!"

Yeah, the language choice was unfortunate (or fortunate if you're a commedian).

The only other purpose for it it political cover. When oversight fails, tehy hold a hearing and demand to know why what they were responsible for wasn't working right. Intelligence failure is my favorite. It's almost never a genuine intelligence failure, almost always it's an oversight failure. Now get them to admit that.

Cynical or just experienced: you decide.

Kansas said...

Another thing, it takes too much time. By the time the public actually hears about the reports or findings, they’ve already lost interest, forgot about it, and moved on to something new. You know, it’s the American A.D.D thing we suffer from in this country.