Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Reality TV puts disabled women in beauty show


It is a beauty contest complete with a swimsuit round. But all the contestants in the latest reality format to sweep ratings-hungry broadcasters have a disability.

Contestants must display a “handicap visible to the eye” in Miss Ability, a Dutch show that became the surprise hit of 2006 in the Netherlands.



Twelve women, including amputees and wheelchair-bound contestants, parade in nightgowns and bathing suits.

They star in short films demonstrating how they have overcome severe disabilities before submitting to a viewer vote.

The Netherlands was the breeding ground for Big Brother. Now the rights to remake Miss Ability have been snapped up in Britain, France, Germany and the US.

Absolutely Independent, the Dutch producers, insist that the show does not patronise disabled people. But the prospectus does not suggest sensitivity. It reads: “Ever whistled at a woman in a wheelchair? Checked out the boobs of a blind babe? If the answer’s ‘no’, this barrier-breaking show will put an end to that.”

DLT Entertainment, the company behind My Family, the hit BBC One comedy, is making the show in Britain. The producers are promising that contestants will be empowered. Heather Mills, the estranged wife of Sir Paul McCartney, is being approached to be the presenter.

British broadcasters will bid for the show in the new year. But there are fears that the trend for extreme reality shows could produce tasteless television. A recent Disney format invited patients needing brain or spinal tumour treatment and other life-threatening diseases to become guinea-pigs for pioneering surgery.


Outrageous! Simply outrageous! What is wrong with people??? Is America so starved for entertainment that contemptible producers of the atrocious just can’t devise new freak shows fast enough to fill the void? I don’t know who is more at fault, the people who produce this disgraceful drivel, the freaks who need attention so badly that they’re willing to sign away their self-respect for a few minutes in front of the camera, or the audience who just can’t seem to get enough. After all, if there were no audience, then the first two groups of offenders would be non-existent.

In order to shame us all, I was going to make a list of reality shows, at least the ones I could remember (which was only about six). I decided to do an Internet search because I knew there were many I'd forgotten. What I got was a list so long that I am now ashamed to even own a television. The list is far too vast to reproduce here.

This is the list.

Now I will admit, reluctantly, that I’ve watched the first and last season of American Idol. This happens when I tune in to see all the hilariously bad singers. Somehow I get sucked in. But even this show is repugnant. American Idol will never produce a Stevie Wonder, a Stevie Ray Vaughan, or a Steven Tyler. What this show DOES produce is a huge bank account for the producers. I read that more people voted in the finale of American Idol this year than voted for president in the last election. And these people are taking up space on our planet…

What Americans (and people of other countries) don’t seem to realize is, these call-in reality shows are simply a brilliant, moneymaking commercial that last for weeks. American Idol is one big commercial for Chevy, Ford, Pepsi, and whatever phone company is raking in the dough by taking your votes.

And while we’re on the subject of your votes, does it strike anybody as odd that Americans now think their opinions are so important that they will actually PAY to voice them? What an excellent racket! In essence, you are willing to give your hard-earned money so that someone else can become rich. You happily become poorer so that someone else can become richer, all so that your tiny voice may be heard.

A fool and his money really ARE soon parted…

I am truly sorry that women in wheelchairs are not getting catcalls and whistles, because those of us not in wheelchairs really LOVE that sort of attention. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve given my phone number and the invitation to father my children to some schmuck who yelled crude comments in my direction. We love having our self-worth measured by the size of our body parts. Truly we do. And now, thanks to reality TV, handicapped women will have the same opportunity.

Way to go, America!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

H.L. Mencken said it best"

"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American Public"

See if you can match the person to these sayings:

1. "Demagogue: one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots."

2."To wage a war for a purely moral reason is as absurd as to ravish a woman for a purely moral
reason."

3."Every failure teaches a man something, to wit, that he will probably fail again."
*******************************************************************************
And my personal favorite: " The only really happy folk are married women and single men. "

Karen said...

Excellent post.

Shooter, I have no idea on the sayings. Tell us, please.

Actually, I don't think it's just the American public. I think it may be the worldwide public.

Kansas said...

It's a trick question, right? Aren't they all, more or less. Menckin quotes?

And Cait, I'm afraid you're right. America doesn’t have the market cornered on tasteless trash. Actually the UK is just as bad as we are.

Anonymous said...

Tell us, please what? Cait.
I thought in this post MooGirl was trashing (rightfully), the tastless vulgarity of Americans...."Way to Go America!"
I just added some Mencken quotes for poetic support. No mystery, no trick question. Am i missing something?
And Moo said, "Menckin quotes?" What gave it away, Moo? Could it have been my opening line, "H.L. Mencken said it best?"

sage said...

I feel self-righteous saying this, but I haven't watched the first reality TV show, I haven't watched any eposide of Suvivor, and I haven't even watched Friends... I'm becoming an old fart (even though when I was younger, for nearly a decade, I didn't own a TV)

Kansas said...

Shooter, you SO didn't say Menckin quotes! You said "See if you can match the person to these sayings"....

Ohhhh...I read it like "see if you can match the people to these sayings". Kinda confused me because it was all the same person.

In my best Gilda Radner voice...never mind!

Sage, you should feel self-righteous. TV is evil-bad! You lose brain cells just turning it on.

Anonymous said...

O.K, I apologize, I should have said, "here's some quotes from H.L.Mencken, who do they remind you of?"

And since we're correcting me, I looked it up, His actual quote was, "No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."

Here's a couple more:

"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup"

"Say what you will about the ten commandments; you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them."

"On one issue at least, men and women agree; they both distrust women."

Kansas said...

He was right on about that woman thing. I wonder how he knew? You suppose we were the same catty creatures back then that we are now?

Not me personally, just all the other women...

Anonymous said...

I have always been catty. And I'm not ashamed of it. One of my greatest enjoyments is going somewhere with my daughter, so we can make hissy remarks about other women's clothes, make-up, etc. I have always believed Alice Roosevelt Longworth had the right of it when she saidelers @ Bengals - Bengals
Patriots @ Titans - Patriots
Rams @ Vikings - Rams
Jaguars @ Chiefs - Chiefs
Panthers @ Saints - Panthers
Browns @

Karen said...

I have always been catty. And I'm not ashamed of it. One of my greatest enjoyments is going somewhere with my daughter, so we can make hissy remarks about other women's clothes, make-up, etc. I have always believed Alice Roosevelt Longworth had the right of it when she said, "If you can't say something nice about someone, then come sit over here by me."

Karen said...

Sorry for the sort of double post, although I have no idea where the football line up came from. As you can see, it wasn't part of my comment.

Kansas said...

How bizarre, about the football lines. I have no idea where that would come from.

But I love the line about come sit by me! I’m sorry, but I’m afraid I just wouldn’t be able to watch a Special Olympics beauty contest without MUCH repenting afterwards!

Karen said...

Quit repenting, then. There's not a damned thing wrong with you. When people make asses of themselves or do stupid shit, they NEED to be laughed at.

Kansas said...

Cait, I think we must have been separated at birth!

Karen said...

Yes, I think so. And there's another one of us in Japan, too. Triplets.