Friday, January 26, 2007

I wonder if he'll help with the dishes now...


Woman, 65, saves husband from mountain lion

Wildlife officials on Thursday credited a woman with saving her husband's life by clubbing a mountain lion that attacked him while the couple hiked in a California state park.

Jim and Nell Hamm, who will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary next month, were hiking Wednesday in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, 60 miles south of the Oregon state line, when the lion pounced.

"He didn't scream. It was a different, horrible plea for help, and I turned around, and by then the cat had wrestled Jim to the ground," Nell Hamm said in an interview from the hospital.

Jim Hamm was recovering from a torn scalp, puncture wounds and other injuries.

After the attack, game wardens closed the park and released hounds to track the lion. They later shot and killed two lions found near the trail where the attack happened.

The carcasses were flown to a state forensics lab to determine if either animal had mauled the man.

Nell Hamm said she grabbed a 4-inch-diameter log and beat the animal with it, but it would not release its hold on her husband's head.

"Jim was talking to me all through this, and he said, 'I've got a pen in my pocket and get the pen and jab him in the eye,"' she said.

"So I got the pen and tried to put it in his eye, but it didn't want to go in as easy as I thought it would."

When the pen bent and became useless, Nell Hamm went back to using the log. The lion eventually let go and, with blood on its snout, stood staring at the woman. She screamed and waved the log until the animal walked away.


This guy will never win another argument as long as he lives.

Read on...

5 comments:

Murf said...

I wonder how many rounds of 'tongue lashings' he can give her to equal being saved from a mountain lion? I'm sure he's officially done complaining to her about never giving him one often enough. :-)

Anonymous said...

Personally I would prefer not have to kill and eat lions to prevent such tragedies. A better solution to the problem would be to have lion lovers capture and adopt them all as pets. The cats would get sick and die due to such poor forage, and the lion lovers would become lion dung.
However if they fail to adopt all of the kind creatures, mountain is quite good, fairly sweet, kind of reminds me of eating horse.

Kansas said...

Oh I bet his days of complaining about anything are long gone. You know she’s already making a list of things for him to do around the house.

I wonder if we have any mountains around here…

Murf said...

I give it a year before he starts whining about the lack of oral sex again and she has to use the 'But I saved your life from a mountain lion' line. :)

Kansas said...

A year??? Oh you're giving him WAY too much credit. I bet he doesn't even get out of the hospital before the whining starts!