Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Is "Poop Head" one word or two?

Ok, enough is enough. Today was Day 6 of being iced into the house. I feel bad complaining because many of our neighbors in surrounding towns have been without electricity for 6 days. But I’m going to complain anyway.

It started raining ice early Friday afternoon. It didn’t stop until Sunday night. Since then, the temperature has not been out of the 20’s, so needless to say, nothing has melted. There is at least 3-4 inches of pure ice on everything. It’s deeper in the drifts. This caused us to have to reschedule a big shoot last Saturday to this Saturday, and as of today, it has been canceled until further notice. That’s ok; we didn’t need that money!!! Screw the bills! It’s not like I can get to the mailbox to pay them anyway!

Clint spent at least two hours yesterday with a hammer and an ice pick, trying to chisel the truck out. It didn’t work. Luckily, since we work out of the house and because I saw this storm coming, we had plenty of food (for a week) and have had no reason to leave the house. This is a good thing, seeing as how venturing off the front porch is a death wish. It’s like walking on a wet ice cube.

Schools have been out all week because sand and salt crews cannot make it to the neighborhood streets. Even if Clint could get all the ice off the truck, there is a 4-5 inch ice drift in the driveway and behind all four tires. We could possibly get out, but getting back up the sloped driveway would certainly be entertaining for all the neighbors. We will be alerting the neighbors tomorrow though. The local news just announced that another storm in coming in Friday night through Sunday that will dump 4 to 8 inches of snow in top of the ice.

And there was much rejoicing...













And speaking of entertainment, watching the dog attempt to maneuver on the ice has been a source of great joy for me. It would be a lot funnier if Poop-Head, aka Charity, weren’t 15 years old, arthritic, and almost completely deaf. But like most dogs, she must find that PERFECT blade of grass, or in this case, that perfect patch of ice, on which to pee. This leads to much hilarity and glee on my part. Think Bambi on ice. I’m so evil.

Blame it on cabin fever...

11 comments:

sage said...

We don't have that much ice, but we did get hit with it on Sunday night followed by snow on and off ever since... with that much ice, I'd put on crampons and continue on (but then I'm probably the only person in two with them). Also, I have chains for my truck. I've lived in the mts too long! hope you're staying warm and enjoying things.

Anonymous said...

Remember in times like these, stock up on the "3B"s (beer, bread, & birth control).

Kansas said...

Hey I don’t know what crampons are but it sound like I need some. And we’re heading out to the frozen tundra tomorrow to get one of the 3-Bs. I’ll leave it to your imagination to decide which one.

Anonymous said...

No snow here yet, but lots of frost. I'm in Scotland though, so we don't get it so bad....but the bit about the chisel did remind me of the time it froze so bad that we returned to a house that had flooded whilst we were away, the pipes had burst and the first knowledge of this was when my husband crunched over the carpet in the lounge....he spent the rest of the day with a chisel picking at the carpet.

Murf said...

I think I will pass on anything that starts with 'cramp'.

Kansas said...

Sis - it’s not a good thing when your carpet crunches, for any reason. Nor is it as fun as it sounds to be able to sled from one room to another! Luckily no pipes have frozen yet…of course, if we run out ways to entertain ourselves, I may flood the house on purpose.

Ms Mel – oh you dirty dog! You’re hoggin’ all the sunshine! And BTW, I hope ya’lls orange crop is a good one this year. California’s crop is toast so I’m expecting oranges to be about $6 a piece!

Murf, I was kinda thinking the same thing about a “crampon”. I’m just hoping it wasn’t a typo on Sage’s part!

Murf said...

Sage?!? Typo?!? Get outta here!

sage said...

Ok, to educate you too, go here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crampons

but I admit that I do sometimes have typos. I wish these comment boxes had spell check.

Kansas said...

Oh good grief! Cleats from Hell! Crampons look like some medieval torture weapon! And while they certainly would help me get to the mailbox, I think I’d much prefer to use them to till up my garden!

(Poor Sage, he’s shaking his head at his computer about now and thinking, “Why do I even bother…”)

And I’ve always wished comments had spell check too, for everybody’s sake! You’d think someone would have come up with that idea already.

Murf said...

I vote for grammar check. It may have caught Sage's use of 'too' when it should've been 'two'. Good thing he has his looks going for him though. ;)

Kansas said...

lol you are so evil, Murf! I two could benefit from grammar check!