Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Since I'll be a captive audience...

















This is who I’ll be rooting for in the Stupor Bowl.

Colts star Manning sidesteps Pentagon plug

A US marine reporter tried unsuccessfully to get Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning to plug the federal government's Pentagon channel during Media Day at the Super Bowl.

Reina Barnett, wearing full Marine camouflage, was accompanied by a uniformed cameraman when she asked Manning on Tuesday to repeat "You are watching the Pentagon channel" which is be aired during Sunday's game for US troops watching in Iraq.

Instead Manning, who gave a colourful performance during Media Day with many one-liners that left reporters laughing, simply expressed support for the troops and thanked the soldiers for their sacrifice.

Others like Chicago Bears starting quarterback Rex Grossman and Colts guard Matt Ulrich weren't so apprehensive to plug the Pentagon.

Said Grossman, "Hi I'm Rex Grossman, Chicago Bears and you're watching the Pentagon Channel."

"I want to thank you guys for all you do keeping us free here," Ulrich said. "We will keep you in our hearts and prayers."



Oh get me a bucket. Rex Grossman couldn't find Iraq on a map. Good for Peyton for not allowing himself to be used as a tool of the White House propaganda machine.

6 comments:

sage said...

Good for Peyton. I've heard so much about this guy since my other half and the real football fan in the house (i like a nap on Sunday afternoon) is really in love with this Manning--that I was getting sick of him. But you give me a reason to like him, but I'm still going to cheer for the Bears.

Kansas said...

Clint raves on and on about the Manning brothers. Apparently this one has a little brother who is a quarterback for some other team. One time over this past football season these two teams were playing each other and the sports wonks made a huge deal out of how the parents were going to root for both boys.

Clint says Peyton is a really good guy….zzzZZZzzzZZZzzzZZZzzz….

I’ll probably have to root for the Bears too since he’ll be rooting for the Colts. It’s only fun for me if we’re rooting for opposing teams. Who am I kidding? I’ll be watching a movie.

Murf said...

I dislike (and nearly hate) all things Manning, especially his little brother. GO BEARS!

Kansas said...

Ooooh, do tell Murf, why all the hate for the Manning boys? I need some dirt to irritate Clint.

Kansas said...

blah

Anonymous said...

I think it has more to do with controlling the Peyton brand. Call me cynical.