Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Moo-stery solved.


Because inquiring minds want to know (ok, they don’t want to know, but they did ask in passing, which is almost the same as wanting to know) how I became Moogirl

You might think it’s because I hail from Oklahoma. Or perhaps because I love cows (which I do). And I guess the love of cows is indirectly the cause, but not the way you’d think.

When I met The Husband back on 2000, he’d had some long-standing illnesses that he’d been dealing with for years. I, on the other hand, was in more or less perfect health. By 2002, I too was extremely ill, and Clint was even worse than usual. We both have an aversion to mainstream doctors; Clint because he’d been through 6 or 7 operations to no avail, I because I just don’t trust them. But Clint’s family had a homeopathic doctor that they swore by.

In 2003, after sending Clint’s blood to Holland to be tested, it turned out he’d had Ecoli poisioning for an undetermined number of years, which had wrecked havoc on his body. And because Ecoli is sexually transmitted (bet you didn’t know that), I too had Ecoli poisoning for at least three years. I know this doesn’t sound too funny yet, but it gets better.

Ecoli poisoning attacks different parts of the body in different people. For me, it had settled in the bone marrow of my spine and the fluid surrounding my brain. This led to awesome backaches (which I still have).

As far as the brain fluid, that’s where things started to get funny. The Ecoli had rendered me completely dyslexic and I’d lost all short-term memory. When I say short-term, I mean really short-term, like walking into the kitchen and having no idea why I was there. Oh I know this happens to everybody, but every time you walk into a room? This got to be quite amusing for me. It was either be amused or get totally frustrated. I couldn’t remember conversations, movies I’d watched, when bills were due; I’d forget anything I didn’t make a monumental effort to remember. If you’ve ever seen the movie “Momento”, that was my life. Clint likes to say every day is a new day for me, blank slate, which is true.

I had a group of friends back then that I was in daily contact with on the net. One group was the people who helped me start It’s a Moo Point. The other group was, well, suffice it to say that it was a network of friends who like to, um, share movies back before it became so illegal. This second group of people were the ones who were really responsible for my moniker.

See, dealing with the second group of friends involved chatting in real time…with someone who was newly dyslexic, and totally forgetful. I would forget conversations. I would forget where people were from. I would forget people’s real names. So as not to appear rude, I had to explain myself a lot. They all knew I had Ecoli poisoning, but for the life of them, could not remember the name. Thus my ailment became Mad Cow Disease. THIS they could remember, and they went to town with it.

It became a regular greeting with them to moo at me when saying hello. This evolved into “ooming” at me so I could read it backwards. Over the weeks and months they just started referring to me as Moogirl. They were evil and completely snarky, but apparently having a conversation with me back then was highly entertaining for them. Thus, It’s a Moo Point and Moogirl were born. We still refer to it as Mad Cow Disease around here.

In case anyone is wondering, we treated the Ecoli with homeopathic drugs, but since we’d had it for years by then, it took several more years to inch our way back to semi-decent health. Clint still deals with issues on a regular basis, I just have residual problems.

I’m much better but still have a bit of the memory loss and dyslexia. Clint uses this to his full advantage by swearing that he tells me things that I know he didn’t. I think this is probably his favorite thing about me because it gets him out of all sorts of trouble. The dyslexia only rears it’s ugly head when I’m typing in real time, in which case, a course in reading Ebonics is necessary. The people who use the word confirmation thingy for their comments area have no idea how difficult this is for me and it can often take 2-4 tries for me to get it right. Anything that mixes numbers and letters, such as passwords, or account numbers are deadly. All I can say is thank God for Microsoft Word or I’d never be able to run this place. But this is also why HTML code makes me want to kill myself.

I still have to make a concerted effort to commit things to memory. Clint doesn’t get away with nearly as much as he used to, but if he sticks to his guns, I usually have to back down because chances are, I really am just having a moo-ment. So if I ever forget something you’ve said, or I ask you the same question 2 (or 3 or 4) times, don’t’ take it personally. Just moo at me and go on.

Or better yet, oom at me. That will tell me we’ve been down this road before…

PS. Our doctor told us that Ecoli is one of the most misdiagnosed diseases and that perhaps as much as 75% of Americans are walking around with some form of the disease. And remember, it can be sexually transmitted so wrap up, or you could end up with something much worse than a nasty case of pants-crickets!

22 comments:

sage said...

Moo (or is it oom?)

Interesting, glad you're getting better. A good friend of mine had an Ecoli infection after we were in Honduras back in 2005--he was in the hospital a couple of times before they diagnosed it.

I live in fear of losing my memory.

Murf said...

Wow..that's quite the background on a nickname.


Wow..that's quite the background on a nickname.


Wow..that's quite the background on a nickname.

;-)

Glad you're feeling somewhat better.

Murf said...

My fear is turning 50 like Sage is on Monday. :)

sage said...

You got the date wrong Murf!

Murf said...

Oops..I did. IT'S TUESDAY THAT SAGE TURNS HALF A CENTURY OLD!

Kansas said...

omg you're killing me Murf! And how very evil of you to tell Sages's age!

And Sage, I would never have guess you're a half century old. You don't look a day over 1/35th century!

Jane said...

Look at Moo doing fractions! You go girl!

Kansas said...

EVIL SISTER!!!

Murf said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Murf said...

Sage is still hot for his age so I figured he wouldn't mind me mentioning what it is yet again. ;)

sage said...

1/35 of a century would be around 3 years old, wouldn't it?

Thanks Murf, I think. I don't feel 50 and can keep up with most folks in the gym

Kansas said...

Wouldn't 1/35th of a century be 35 years old?

sage said...

Sorry Moogirl, and math ain't my strong suit, but 1/3 would be 33.4 years, so it's be just a bit larger than that

Karen said...

2.86 years more or less. Or, 2 years and 10 months old. Math is my strong suit. Love them numbers and statistics.

I had heard a scaled down version of how you got your nickname, but never the full story. Quite something. I had thought you had all gotten the ecoli from tainted meat at a fast food joint.

Ha, Sage, you're just a youngster. I'll be 62 this year. Loving every minute of it. Life just gets better.

Kansas said...

Woo-hoo, Jane, look at me screwing up fractions! lol

Ok, so 1/35th SOUNDED like it should be 35 years. Under normal circumstances, I would blame it on the mad cow, but alas, I just suck at math. And besides, Sage, didn’t you mother ever tell you just to accept a complement and say thank you? You knew what I meant!

And I’m so glad to hear that life just keep getting better!

Murf said...

Moogirl, Sage doesn't take compliments well which what makes it so fun to call him things like 'hot'. I know he must be squirming when I do and that just adds fuel to my fire for teasing him. :)

sage said...

Thank you Moogirl! I'm humbled to have such a hot blond compliment me. Thank you Murf, I'm also humbled to have a hot (whatever the color you hair is this week) compliment me!

Murf said...

Still a brunette, Sage. I don't think you can handle two blondes. ;)

Kansas said...

Hey Sage, ever see a cat toying with a mouse for hours? They bat it around, but not so hard as to do any real damage. They wear it out, and then pretend to let it go, and just when the mouse thinks it’s gotten away with its life, the cat swoops down and drags it back into the corner for another round “Who’s your daddy?” Ever seen that?

Now, guess which one you are…

Murf said...

Great analogy, Moo. Don't forget to add that deep, deep, deep, deep, deep down the mouse likes it. Although I feel kind of bad because I told Sage that I would be a kinder and gentler Murf in '07.

sage said...

just a warning, don't underestimate me! I might turn out to be a rat, instead of a harmless mouse.

Kansas said...

lol @ kinder and gentler. Wow, how much fun were you last year?!? And Sage, rats just make it funner-er for the cat!